Monday, November 22, 2010


Happy Bitten by the Bug 2 Monday!  Such a fun week is in store for all of us!  Of course with Thursday being Thanksgiving Day here in the U.S. this is already a special week!  But on top of that, today is BBTB2 with HELLO KITTY (you KNOW I ADORE Kitty!), tomorrow is the first day of the Kickin' Off Christmas Blog Hop as well as my 29th wedding anniversary(!), Wednesday is day 2 of the KOC Blog Hop, Thursday is Thanksgiving and I will share the details of my North Pole house, and Friday is BLACK FRIDAY!   I think MFK (my friend Kathy) and I are planning a Walmart run!!! And of course in the midst of our crafting fun I will be preparing the traditional big meal as well as a finger food buffet for Wednesday night.  Whew! Busy week.


The challenge cut this week at BBTB2 is Hello Kitty in her elf/Santa outfit (HK19).  This cut was selected by my sweet Design Team sister and team leader Heather, who probably doesn't even know about my love for Hello Kitty. I decided to take the HK project a bit further, because I always find inspiration when Kitty is involved.


I started with a basic box from the Tags, Bags, Boxes and More and Cricut Design Studio.  I chose the 12 x 24 inch virtual cutting mat and placed the box onto the mat at 9-1/4 inches tall by 17-1/3 inches wide.  I decided that I wanted to place the Christmas tree next to Kitty, so placed the outline on the mat at 5-1/4 inches tall by 4 inches wide.  I then placed the tree center cut into the front section of the box.  I did NOT select weld.  This way when I cut the page the shape of the inside of the tree and tree stand only cut out.  I glued a square of acetate over the inside of the opening.  The tree outline, star and package pieces were cut on the same mat.

A word about the cardstock I used to create this box:  The cardstack was purchased through Darcie's when I attended a stamping expo.  However, you can order their large printed cardstock on-line.  ( I would have added the link but as of Sunday evening as I type this post their site is down).  The cardstock measures 18 x 12 inches and is a wonderful weight for boxes and cards cut on the Cricut.  Also their printed cardstock comes in a variety of prints - seasonals, birthday prints, manly prints, fun prints, plaids, etc.

Page two of the cut file uses a regular 12 x 12 cutting mat.  On this mat I placed the HK19 Hello Kitty card cut at 3.5 inches tall.  All of my Hello Kitty pieces were cut with the Cricut set at 3.5 inches. I cut Kitty in white smooth cardstock, her outline in black and her clothing in metallic green and red.  After assembling the card front, I applied glue to the white portions of Kitty's body and covered them with white papersoft, creating the illusion of "fur".  I then attached Kitty to the base card and affixed them to the front of the box.  This assures that the TO/FROM tag will stay on the box.


The last piece of the box ensemble is the Merry Christmas to You tag hanging from the bow.  I used my set of JustRite Christmas stamps and scalloped punches to create the tag.  I then attached it to the ribbon and bow at the top of the package.

My daughter saw the box on my scrapping desk and told me that she hopes to see the box under our tree with her name in the "TO:" area.  I think there is a very good chance that she will get her request!!!


I will see you back here tomorrow for the Kickin' Off Christmas blog hop!  The goal of the blog hop is to use Amy Chomas products and SP and Company products.


One last note, please remember that you can vote for Capadia's (Diane) entry in the Creative Memories contest once every 24 four hours.  Please click HERE to go vote today and go back and vote again tomorrow!!!  Diane is a true delight and has done so much for sooo many in the paper crafting community.  I would love to see her win this contest and the cruise.

Popular Posts