Tuesday, October 5, 2010


I had so much fun with my YuDu over the weekend - I created a set of fall themed dinner napkins.  I chose a design from the new Thanksgiving seasonal cartridge, which I modified slightly in Cricut Design Studio.  The pumpkin in the center is supposed to be solid, but by manipulating the top layer of pumpkin a bit smaller in CDS and placing the smaller pumpkin in the middle of the larger design I was able to create an outline effect. In the photo below you can see that I placed the base cut on the CDS mat and then using the "hide select contour feature" to removed the leaves and inside cuts, I placed the slightly reduced top pumpkin cut inside the background cut to create the outline. I chose this particular design because I wanted something that could be used for longer than Thanksgiving weekend or for Halloween.  So I went with a generic fall theme to expand the usefulness of the napkins.


I found these great pumpkin colored napkins at Tuesday Morning several weeks ago.  I thought they were perfect for fall. I actually set up two YuDu screens, but ended up not liking the effect.  I had planned to fill the pumpkins in with a second color, but instead I just went with a single color. The second color distracted from the simple elegance of the design.


I cut the pumpkin design in black vinyl and affixed it to the transparent overlay provided with the Yudu. After preparing the emulsion, I exposed the image onto the screen.  The Yudu is soooo easy to use; I am so glad that I took the plunge and added it to my Provo Craft line up!


I used gold paint on the pumpkins, but it looks a bit greenish in the photos.  I had planned to fill in the the pumpkins in an orange, but as I stated above it just did not look good.   I am excited to use my napkins, but I need to heat set the paint first.

Popular Posts