Tuesday, October 12, 2010


I know this is not my usual paper craft style, but I am putting this out here anyway.  This Epic card was created with the Cricut Imagine and the Cricut Imagine JT cartridge.  I also used an Imagine pre-loaded shape as the background mat.  And in keeping with my theme of Imagine elements, I also printed the background paper from the JT cartridge.

There are so many things I could share about how wonderful the Cricut Imagine is to work with, but today I am going to focus on just one particularly appealing aspect of the Imagine.  My friend Susan from Seneca said that she loves the Imagine because all of the papers and colors on a single cartridge are already coordinated for her!  She likes knowing that the selections she makes will all look wonderful together in her completed projects.


In this specific project I chose the flourish accented skull and the wing accented word Epic as my main elements.  Using the layers feature on the Imagine, I split the skull cut into layers and recolored the top layer, the face, with the skull print paper on the JT cartridge.  I thought it would be more striking if the skull had skull print.  I will say that you loose a few details when you cut the skull alone, but it is worth it for the layered effect.


I cut the word Epic using only two layers.  You can actually choose to cut this piece in four layers, but I liked the overall print better.  I cut this in two layers so that I could layer to two pieces.  The headphones were cut as a single layer.  I did not want the headphones to over power the skull. 

The photo above shows the inside of the card.  I used just a top layer of the skull with a larger set of headphones.  This leaves plenty of room for personalizing the card.  I see this card as a potential birthday card for one of my sons (both have birthdays in the next 60 days).  While one son is very into music the other often uses the word Epic!  Alas, there will be choices to make....


After layering the elements together I added think black and white gingham ribbon over the tag matting, but under the skull flourish.  I tied the to strips of ribbon together with rough twine.  I added a touch of the twine around the i in epic.  I actually tried using wire as an embellishment for this card, but it blended together too well and there was no POP effect.

I will be back tomorrow to share an on-going project with you.  See you tomorrow.

Popular Posts