Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Macy Gray | singer gone poker player
The poker world has changed in other ways, too. Not only are more women playing cards now than ever before, but the new breed of celebrity poker player is Natalie Hinds a.ka. Macy Gray.

Away from them, and work, she unwinds by playing tennis and poker. "One of my friends in LA - whom I had better not name - has a poker game every other Friday and I never miss it.




Macy Gray | singer gone poker player
"I love it! it's very social and I love to gamble. It's a brain game and I am working on it. Yeah, I am pretty smart," she says with a grin.

Macy Gray also appeared on the popular poker reality TV show the Celebrity Poker Showdown where she played with Jennifer Tilly, Brett Butler and Andy Dick for Habitat For Humanity.

Macy Gray | singer gone poker player
Macy Gray was recently reported as saying that if she ever stopped creating music, she would like to become either a pimp or a professional poker player. The talented singer told Rolling Stone magazine that she could see herself pimping, despite the fact that such an occupation is difficult and sometimes even dangerous.

Gray's secondary occupation of choice, when her hits will stop coming, is playing professional poker. The R&B star reportedly said that, although now she was not good in poker as she would have wanted to be, she still managed to make money despite her current level of play.

Macy Gray | singer gone poker player
40-year-old Gray, born Natalie Renee McIntyre, is also a prominent songwriter and producer. Thus far, Gray has released four studio albums, one live album as well as one compilation album. In 2005, the poker-playing singer established a music academy called The Macy Gray Music Academy where underprivileged children receive the opportunity to hone their performing skills.

In addition to her impressive musical credentials, Gray has found the time to become an accomplished and busy actress. Her first acting job was with no less than Denzel Washington in 2001’s Training Day. Since then she has starred in such movies as Spider-Man, Scary Movie 3, Lackawanna Blues, Domino and most recently Déjà Vu (again with Denzel Washington), for which she also performs “Coming Back to You” for the movie’s soundtrack.

Macy Gray | singer gone poker player
“I’ve had a ball,” she said. “I’ve been lucky that I’ve gotten some really good roles. Working with Denzel was a lot of fun.” Although she has recently been focused on recording, she says she’ll be back to the movies soon. “I took a break from the movies so I could work on my record, but when I go out on tour I’ll be taking some scripts with me.” She has also made television appearances in Ally McBeal, That’s So Raven and Blue’s Clues, to name just a few.

Macy Gray has a clothing line, The Natalie Hinds Collection by Macy Gray, a men’s fashion collection called SNAC, and she will soon launch a joint fashion venture with Interscope Records for curvaceous women called HUMPS.

Popular Posts