Monday, July 18, 2011


Happy Monday and Welcome to Penguin Cottage!  Today I am sharing my Welcome project for my new neighbor, which just also happens to be this week’s Bitten by the Bug 2 project… Two birds (penguins!!); one stone!  This week’s challenge cut was the Penguin from Jolly Holidays, but I do not have that cartridge so I used the penguin from Joys of the Season. 



I used three cartridges to create the completed box - Joys of the Season for the Penguin, Sweet Tooth Boxes for the box, and Cindy Loo for the word "Welcome".  I cut the house box so that it filled the 12 x 12 mat.  The house was much easier to assemble than many of the previous Cricut building that I have assembled.  Also, the house actually has many details that I omitted (flowers and flower boxes).   And like always, assembly instructions are available in the back of your manual!


I made it so that my penguin is actually a card which opens while still attached to the side of the house – a built in To:/From: card.   I welded two of the penguin shadow cut together to serve as the base card.  I used a light blue damask cardstock to cut the base layer of the penguin and I used a Swiss dot textured cardstock to cut the “coat”.  I covered the black cardstock with black Stickles.


I cut the word “Welcome” from Cindy Loo.  The word was cut to fit across the roof top.  The roof was cut in the same textured Swiss Dot cardstock as the penguin coat and was hand doodled in silver gel pen (my favorite white gel pen died just when I really needed it)!


I finished my Sweet Tooth box by attaching the penguin to the side and tying a fun green polka dot ribbon around the box. All I have left to do is fill the box with brownies and deliver it to my new neighbors!!
I will be at the lake this week with my scrappy girlfriends which means I will be “borrowing” Internet signal from the neighbors at the lake house. I will have several new projects to share, including an unusual bridal shower card. Hopefully everything will post.

Popular Posts